Gary is a Strategic Advisor with Profit Enhancement Solutions, a division of Smith & Gesteland, LLP. Over the course of his career, he has served as Group President for Illinois Tool Works (ITW); managing 36 manufacturing companies, acquired 17 companies, divesting five companies, coordinated the start-up of three green field facilities in China, one in Japan, one in the Philippines and groomed key managers for additional responsibilities and promotion.
During his 26 year tenure with ITW, Gary grew his Platform from two businesses grossing $30MM to three divisions: Contamination Control, Electrostatics and Electronic Packaging and Components, generating over $600MM in revenue at greater than 27% ROS.
The 36 worldwide companies Gary managed, manufacture, develop, engineer, and sell consumables for semi-conductor wafer processing and circuit board assembly, electronic chip and LED packaging, computer components, electrostatic control equipment, corona treaters, compressed air equipment, and workholding chucks. Markets served are electronics, semiconductor, life sciences, auto, converting, packaging, plastics, and printing.
Some of his accomplishments during that time include:
- Implementation of 80/20 programs to address customers, products, transactions, and manufacturing processes across existing platform businesses and new acquisitions.
- Ranked in the top 10% of ITW companies for operating income, return on sales and return on investment.
- Conversion of all manufacturing facilities to cellular manufacturing, kanban inventory systems, in-lining production, market rate of demand production scheduling. This resulted in reduced product costs, inventory expense and finished product lead times.
- Development of key managers to assume Divisional VP/GM, General Manager, and key management positions.
- ITW leader and trainer in the domestic and international acquisition process; including search, approach, valuations, due diligence, purchase price negotiation, closings, and integration.
- Development and presentation of annual business plans and long range plans.
Gary’s leadership has consistently produced outstanding results in operating income and return on investment. In addition, Gary’s accomplishments include revenue growth through new business development, internal product development, target account programs and OEM and private label contracts, and cost containment and cost reduction. Some of the results that Gary achieved as a leader at ITW include:
- Exceeding planned operating income by 12.5%, on average, for 22 out of 26 years.
- Annual organic revenue growth of 6 to 12% was achieved by implementing strategic growth initiatives in new geographic markets including Asia and new niche markets such as life sciences and flat panel display.
- Reduction of month-on-hand inventory to 2.0 or less.
- Reduction of DSO to less than 43 days, on average, across all companies.
- Oversight of new product development projects resulting in a greater than 25% contribution to annual revenue.
- Within five years, Gary’s Platform had promoted within ITW two General Managers to Group General Managers (VP/GMs) and eleven Managers to General Managers.
Gary has a BS in Biology and Chemistry from St. Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, IN, an MS in Clinical Microbiology from Michigan State University and a Master’s of Public Administration from Indiana State University.