Ron is a Strategic Advisor in the Profit Enhancement Solutions group, a division of Smith & Gesteland, LLP. His background includes a combination of large company professional management and small company innovation and entrepreneurial growth.
Over the course of Ron’s career, he has managed a group of companies with over $500 million in revenues.
Prior to joining PES, Ron was a Group President for the Global Auto Aftermarket Group (AAM) of Illinois Tool Works (ITW) for 22 years. AAM is a $1 billion group of companies that makes up a division of ITW. AAM is comprised of 25 companies located around the world that produce auto repair chemicals.
During his 20 year career with ITW, Ron also developed leadership talent and new general managers, orchestrated new business acquisitions and new product innovation and led emerging market expansion. Ron also served as a member of ITW’s Corporate Management Group and is regarded as a champion for ITW’s 80/20 process.
Some of the results of Ron’s leadership include:
- Built several consumer and industrial brands into ‘game changing’ new product categories with revenues of $20+ million. Market leading brands included Manco Duck Tape, Permatex Gasket Makers, and Evercoat Glazing Putties.
- Part of a leveraged buyout (LBO) group that acquired a $20 million entrepreneurial company and grew it into a profitable $45 million market leader. As President, he sold the company to ITW.
- Transformed a single $45 million company to the Finishing Materials Group of ITW. Through seven acquisitions, major market share gains, five new product category launches and international expansion, the resulting group consisted of five separate companies with $150 million in revenue and greater than 20% operating profit.
- As part of ITW’s Corporate Enterprise Strategy, he simplified and consolidated their Auto Aftermarket businesses into the Global Auto Aftermarket Group with significant efficiencies, savings, and renewed strategic focuses.
- Reengineered over a dozen companies with new strategic growth focuses, new business models and aligned organizations’ structures. Positioned businesses for future growth based on changing user and competitive market realities.
- Developed global growth strategies with a focus on BRICS countries (major emerging national economies). Developed acquisitions and greenfield ventures in Brazil, China, Columbia, and Argentina.
- Created and facilitated team focused training programs including 80/20 operational efficiency, customer focused product development and innovation.
- Developed leadership teams for over a dozen businesses via coaching, talent reviews, 9 box analysis, succession planning and ‘high potential’ development programs.
Ron is passionate about simplifying and customer focusing businesses as a way to achieve profitable growth.
Ron is past President of the Automotive Sales Council as well as a founding member and past Chairman of the Automotive Service Association’s Management Institute.
Ron lives in Cincinnati, Ohio where he enjoys his cars, grandkids and hobby farm.
Ron has a BBA in Marketing from Cleveland State University and an MBA from Baldwin Wallace College.